Visitor Center

Special Events

Historical Data


Lighthouse Memorabilia



About Us




Where to Stay

Where to Eat

What to See/Do

Where to Shop


Visit our FaceBook Page

Visit our Instagram Page


Circular cast-iron staircase with 50 steps. A ladder passes through the iron bulkhead visible above the stairs.

Tower Window Inside.

Tower Window Outside.


South Elevation


Tower and Keeper's House prior to 1890s renovation. Major dimensions remain the same, except the brick workroom is no longer connected to the house. The first 32 feet of the tower are common red brick.

Eight red stripes alternate with seven white stripes. The stripes are about 25 inches wide. The bottom stripe and the top stripe are red.

The tower has two windows of glass brick on the east side (facing the sea). These windows are about 40 inches wide and 30 inches wide. The lower window starts at the top of the first white stripe. The upper window starts at the top of the sixth white stripe.

Statistical data relating to the lighthouse tower and the light:

Tower 49 feet (15 meters) high.

Tower diameter at base, 16 feet (4.88 meters), at top 14 feet
  (4.27 meters).

Tower construction: red brick. Additional courses (veneer) added in
  20th Century.

Center of lantern 83 feet (25.3 meters) above sea level.
  1000 watt bulb, 30,000 candlepower.

Visible 15-18 miles (24-29 kilometers) at sea.

Light flashes (does not revolve) 24 hours per day, in this sequence:
  2 seconds on, 2 seconds off, 2 seconds on, 9 seconds off.

Automated in 1988 ~ still a working lighthouse.

50 step circular stairway, then 10 rung ladder to top.

Lens: Third order Fresnel (about 5 feet or 1.68 meters) tall.

Illumination: Originally oil from sperm whales; to lard oil in 1860s;
  to kerosene about 1880; to electricity in 1932.

Read more about The Lighthouse:

» Lightkeepers

» Lighthouse Memorabilia

» FAQs

Copyright 2016 West Quoddy Head Light Keepers Association. All Rights Reserved. Website design by n-ergizing.